According to Tom Tom, this provides developers developers with the content and tools to rapidly create location-enabled applications for a variety of commercial and consumer markets. Leveraging this platform, developers can create lots of Geo-applications including fleet management, route planning, traffic management and geospatial analysis says LBSzone.com.
Quoting Dan Adams, vice president of Location and Live Services at TomTom: “In response to the increasing demand for top quality data and services, TomTom is offering a comprehensive, easy to use solution for adding location intelligence to applications. The launch of the TomTom LBS Platform is an important evolution. Now we can provide application developers with web-based access to high-quality location content worldwide.”
The LBS Platform and Developer Portal currently eneables the following content and services, courtesy of LBSzone.com:
- Map Toolkit API providing access to:
- Map display web service, which delivers WMS-style raster maps based on TomTom’s flagship MultiNet map database. Tiles are pre-rendered at 18 zoom levels, ranging from a single global tile to 305×305 meter detailed map images.
- Geocoding web service, enabling both free text forward geocoding (find a location by entering an unstructured address, place or POI) and reverse geocoding (identify a location from a pair of latitude and longitude coordinates).
- Routing web service, which provides highly accurate point to point routing and route re-calculation using TomTom’s best-in-class algorithms.
- Traffic web service, using TomTom’s award winning HD Traffic to deliver real-time traffic incident and delay information.
- Cloud-based performance and scalability, giving developers around the world 24×7 access to TomTom’s content and services.
- Management tools that make it easy for developers to track usage.
Free evaluation API key can be obtained here, too.