Map of America’s favorite Christmas artists by state according to eBay
eBay calculated the artists that its users search for most in each state. The map shows some interesting patterns. Terry Redlin is the most popular search in North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas. Never heard of him? He is the guy who paints the kind of Christmasy winter landscapes we’ve all seen at the house of an older relative or dentist’s office waiting room. In California people adore Frida Kahlo. In Michigan the most popular was a Baroque painter Artemisia Gentileschi and in New York Banksy. The question is why would eBay want to track the most-searched artists, not the most-purchased?
Geoawesome Maps of 2014
It is the love of maps and everything spatial that unites us and I can’t think of a better way to express it than by quoting Wisława Szymborska!
Flat as the table
it’s placed on.
Nothing moves beneath it
and it seeks no outlet.
Above—my human breath
creates no stirring air
and leaves its total surface
I like maps, because they lie.
Because they give no access to the vicious truth.
Because great-heartedly, good-naturedly
they spread before me a world
not of this world. – Wisława Szymborska (Read the full poem).
Here is a collection of some of the most Geoawesome maps that were featured on Geoawesomeness this year, I’m sure, we missed many more interesting and Geoawesome maps, do send us all those cool maps that we missed out this year. Maybe we need a separate post for the maps that were featured on Facebook and Twitter alone.
- Who thought Maps can be delicious as well? “Delicious Cartography“.
- Selfies are already part of the dictionary and everyone in the world is already used to this form of modern photography but which city really “loves taking selfies” – The selfie Map
- Cultural stereotypes can be sometimes funny: The Map that divides Europe based on such lines
- Humanity’s cultural history mapped in a 5 minute video map
The Power of Maps
Maps are not only a really nice form of visualization, they can help make a statement as well!
- Maps can not only visualize crime but can also help combat it: How maps are helping law enforcement in South Africa
- The Map that reminds us that world still needs peace: The last 4o year Refugees map
- Political boundaries are slowly starting to fade away: The World divided by Airports
- Traveling between A and B can be beautiful too: The scenic route algorithm
- Maps and Urban planning insights: What overlaid paths can say about a city and Street grids visualization map
Augmented Reality Maps
Augmented Reality and Geospatial Tech go hand in hand, there have been a lot of really cool augmented reality applications using Geospatial data, Audi showcased a really cool augmented reality table map at CES 2014!
If you ask a cartographer, they will surely agree that Maps are a piece of art but what happens when you convert a map into another form of Art. Find out more
- The Geotagged Tweets Map
- The Interactive “Taxi trips map of NYC“
- The NYC “Access to Jobs Map“
- Barcelona is certainly a beautiful city: The Architectural history Map of Barcelona
Maps Search Engine
- Sometimes, it can be tiring to search for Maps. Thankfully, Google Maps Gallery promises to be the map search engine of the future (read more).
- The WikiMaps project: Building together an open collection of Historic maps