Would you like to be part of Vizzuality’s story?
Are you motivated by the desire to help build a sustainable planet for all life on Earth? Are you a technically minded person with a solid understanding of the scientific method? Are you looking for a new opportunity? If so, you could be just the person we need to join Vizzuality’s Science Team and help us work on important issues like supply-chain transparency, biodiversity loss, deforestation, the Climate Crisis and inequality. Join us in our journey as we work towards creating a more sustainable and equitable world for all life on Earth!
Vizzuality is a mission-oriented change agency with offices in Madrid, Cambridge, and Porto. You’ll work alongside talented designers, user researchers, business developers, communicators, engineers, project managers and scientists who work together and are passionate about what they do. We create data-rich tools and online applications for international organisations and companies who focus on conservation, development, open data, climate change, transparency, and inequality. With our help, they’re able to share their stories with people more effectively and compel behaviour changes to create a better and more caring world for everybody.
We carefully select our projects and clients. Our aim is to help make a real impact on people’s behaviour to shift us towards a sustainable and equitable future. We work with some of the largest NGOs, governments, and other high-profile partners to produce social-good products which require a mix of profiles and talents to produce. These are some of the projects we’ve been working on:
Our Culture “This is how we do things here”
Our aim is to help the world become a better place, so we need to make sure we care about our people and empower them to build great things. These are some of the things that defines our culture:
- Our team structure relies on self-organisation.
- We want to work with colleagues who don’t have to look ‘up’ for approval, nor look ‘down’ and give instruction.
- We will provide you with the best tools and technology, and then we will trust and support you to do great things.
- For ourselves, our colleagues and our organisation.
- We are driven to change the world for good and that’s embedded in everything we do.
- We are always embarking on new projects and challenges, so a continuous learning mindset and a positive “Can Do” attitude is a must.
- We are conscientious. We focus on identifying and achieving our goals.
- We empower people to make decisions and to plot their own paths with help from the people and structures around them.
We have fun:
- We know what we do is important and we have a strong sense of responsibility for the work we do.
- But we also know that you need to balance seriousness with fun. If you can make people smile you will be off to a great start!
A day in the life of a Scientist at Vizzuality
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about using their knowledge, creativity, and specialised skills to make products that encourage positive social change.
You will use your background knowledge and programming/analytical skills to solve problems across numerous projects involving resource management, supply-chain transparency and decision making tools based on datasets and GIS. You will also be working at the interface of supply-chain issues and other critical global issues around the loss of biodiversity, and the Climate Crisis.
More specifically, these are some of the things you will be achieving in your first year at Vizzuality:
In the first 3 to 6 months, you will be onboarding to the team and the company:
- You’ll will be shadowing one or more of our existing Scientists closely so you get used to the way of doing things at Vizzuality and have a high-degree of support.
- You’ll familiarise yourself with much of the lifecycle of a project.
- You’ll have time to learn the various software systems we use for managing people, tasks and projects and contribute to project meetings.
- You’ll get to know people from other functional teams: research, design, front-end, back-end and business development, and understand how our role interfaces with theirs.
- You will share ideas and collaborate closely with team members.
- You will create prototypes to demonstrate/document concepts.
By the end of the first year you will be making real impact:
- You will be working as the key Scientist on high-profile projects.
- You will work closely with Engineers, Designers, Psychologists, User Researchers, Project managers and external partners or clients from the start of the project lifecycle until the end.
- You will come up with innovative solutions based on data to solve exciting problems to build a tool for decision-making.
- You will innovatively apply your scientific background and problem-solving abilities to work on a range of problems related to your skills.
- You will perform statistical analyses and visualize geospatial data.
- You will create charts and interactive graphics to make complex datasets understandable and support the creation of high-impact data visualizations from your prototypes.
- You may communicate your work to external audiences through a variety of formats including blogs, conference presentations and more.
These are some of the skills and experience we are looking for in a candidate
Ideally, you should have a background in a Scientific domain: in this instance we are looking for someone with skills related to disciplines such as Supply-Chain Management, Geography, GIS, Economics, Systems Science or related fields.
We are particularly looking for someone who has a proven background in research, or who can demonstrate that they understand how to transform a dataset into knowledge. You should be able to solve problems creatively, and know how to use robust, reproducible statistics to produce clear results and communicate those results to others.
In addition to your scientific background, you should also have good computing skills or be willing to learn these skills quickly: in particular you should have at least a basic knowledge of Python or R, Git and Bash. You will also be working with Google Earth Engine, databases, and GIS software, so you should have a willingness to learn and enjoy the learning process. (As it will never end!)
Compensation, Benefits & Growth “This is what you get when you join Vizzuality”
Our compensation and benefits are part of a great career opportunity with the potential for you to grow and work in something with a massive transformational purpose. So if you really care about the real-world impact of your work and are inspired by our mission to transform the world, we can offer you:
Compensation & Benefits:
- The salary will depend on your profile, however, our general salary brackets are between 20 to 30k euros for a junior profile, 30 to 40k euros at mid-level, and >40k for senior profiles for a full-time contract (40 hrs per week). Ideally, we are looking to hire a candidate at a mid-level, however we will consider applications on a case-by-case basis due to the specialised nature of the profile we are seeking.
- A yearly bonus up to 10% of the salary depending on the company’s performance and your own.
- If you are based in our Madrid or Porto office, you will get Health & Dental Insurance subsidized by the company.
- Flexible Benefits: Depending on your location you could be benefiting from allowances on transport, food, bikes and / or kindergarten.
- 22 Holiday days + local holidays + 1 day for your birthday
Work and Personal Life Integration:
- We are a “remote friendly culture” and we try to run our meetings online as much as we can.
- We offer a flexible work environment and flexible hours, and as long as you do what you have to do, meet your objectives and coordinate accordingly with your team, we are not so worried if you work at the office, in a coffee shop, on your sofa at home, or at the beach!
Learning and working in new and interesting things is fun so we offer many opportunities to do so:
- You will get annually a training allowance of 1,000 Eur so you can spend learning cool things (I.e. courses, conferences, workshops, books, etc.)
- Get your hands-on cool technology and applications to do your work, communicate, and build great things.
- You will work alongside a talented team of engineers, designers, and scientists with multiple backgrounds and skills.
- Peer mentoring and agreed career paths.
- Support for giving talks and contributing to open source projects/initiatives that align with Vizzuality.
The job is for a full-time contract on the Science Team. Ideally you would be based in our main office located in Madrid, Spain together with the majority of the Science Team, however, this is negotiable: we also have offices in Porto (Portugal) and Cambridge (UK), and support remote-workers.
- You must speak English with a high-level of proficiency (C1 equivalent level).
- You must have the right to live and work in Europe or be a European citizen.
Recruitment Process Overview:
If after reading the description of the role, you like our culture and if believe you have what it takes to join Vizzuality, please send us your application.
Our recruitment process is as follows (we also added some recommendations for you to consider when crafting your application):
- Send us your CV and Cover Letter, explaining why you would like to work with us and what you can bring to the team. Please include any samples of your code and projects you find relevant to the offer.
- Fluent English is critically important to us, so if it’s not your first language please demonstrate your abilities in your CV and Cover Letter. We will not consider applications that are not sent in English.
- Having a legal permit to work in Spain/Portugal/UK is mandatory and required, so make sure to state and confirm you are eligible to work in one of our offices. In other words, even if you match all requirements for the role and have the best skills, but you don’t have the legal permit to work in one of our offices, we won’t be able to consider you for the role.
2. First Screening:
- This is a 30 minute informal video-meeting interview. You can get to know us a bit better and ask any questions about the role and our ways of working.
- From our side, we will be interested in understanding a bit more about what you are looking for, your current ability level, and what you care about.
3. An interview and analysis challenge:
- If you pass the first screening stage, we will invite you to complete an assignment to understand more how you work, reason and solve problems through a challenge. This will involve a geospatial data analysis problem and code.
- We will send you via email a challenge for you to think of, and then we will ask you to send us your ideas back.
- We will schedule an in-person interview where you will see our offices, have a meeting with a few team-members and we will deep dive into your background, experience and skills, and we can review your analysis challenge. If you are not able to attend the interview in person we can conduct the interview remotely, but for this interview in-person would be preferred.
- This will also be another opportunity for you to ask us questions about the role and the company.
Thank you for your interest in employment with Vizzuality
Vizzuality is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Vizzuality respects the privacy of our applicants for employment. We take reasonable steps to safeguard and protect any private and personally identifiable information you submit through this website in connection with your application for employment. The information that you submit will be collected and reviewed by the Vizzuality team in order to evaluate your qualifications and experience for job opportunities and access to such information will be limited to those with a legitimate business reason for having such access. Personal data you submit is not shared with third parties for reasons unrelated to your application for employment. We are committed to handling personal data responsibly and in compliance with applicable privacy laws.
To apply for this job please visit vizzuality.bamboohr.com.