- Design and develop automated GIS analysis workflows, processing spatial datasets derived from various sources
- Develop the mapping engine of HTA (Humanitarian Topographic Atlas), platform for automatic production of highly detailed printable maps;
- Develop custom Python tools in ESRI environment
- Perform spatial analysis, vector and raster manipulation, data cleaning and data management.
- Maintains existing GIS applications including system modifications and troubleshooting system problems
- Maintain the GIS Data Harvesting System, build workflows to automatically process geospatial data, run analyses, produce and disseminate maps
- Create automated workflows for estimating the impact of natural disasters, population vulnerability and potential response planning.
- Collaborate with the GIS team for the maintenance and further improvement of existing mapping systems and platforms, i.e. ADAM (Automated Disaster Analysis and Mapping).
- Prepare and update both technical documents and user manuals
Deliverables at the end of the contract:
- The Humanitarian Topographic Atlas is able to produce and disseminate maps covering all WFP countries, at three resolution levels: Country, District/Region and High-Resolution.
- Automated analysis on natural disaster impact and population vulnerability are performed in case of tropical storm, maps are produced and disseminated with non-supervised process (ALIA pilot project)
- WFP spatial data harvesting engine is up and running, collecting and managing spatial data from different sources.
- ADAM Earthquakes, ADAM Tropical Storms, and other WFP GIS tools are up and running and map outputs disseminated for field use;
- New functionalities and extensions of ADAM are developed and integrated with the main platform.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Master’s degree in Geomatics, Computer Science or relevant field, OR equivalent work experience is required.
Minimum of 3 years of increasingly relevant professional experience; OR without a master degree: 5 years of proven working experience in developing GIS applications.
Knowledge and skills:
- Proficiency in Python development language is a must.
- Demonstrated capability developing, testing, and integrating custom software tools;
- Extensive knowledge of GIS software ARCGIS 10.X and ArcGIS Pro (QGIS or other open source software knowledge is an asset);
- Familiarity with ArcGIS’s Data Management, Spatial Statistics, and Spatial Analysis Toolboxes;
- Advanced GIS development skills, both in ArcGIS and QGIS environment (ArcPy and PyQGIS);
- Proven experience in map automation processes, preferably with ArcPy Mapping Library;
- Experience with Geospatial Data Abstraction Library (GDAL) computer software library;
- Working experience in the management of Relational geodatabases based on PostgreSQL/PostGIS and ArcSDE and proficiency with SQL language;
- Experience in Numpy and Pandas libraries for data manipulation and analysis;
- Advanced mapping and geospatial data management skills;
- Understanding and appreciation for Clean Code, TDD, Design Principles and other best practices. Proficient understanding and experience with code versioning tools such as Git.
- Basic knowledge on server administration tasks (Linux and Windows based systems)
- Basic experience working with AWS cloud based servers;
- Ability to work independently and within a team;
- Courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing;
- Working knowledge of English (proficiency/level C) is required.
- A second UN language would be an asset (preferably French, Spanish or Arabic)
To apply for this job please visit career5.successfactors.eu.