> Job board > Offer
Sonar Systems Engineer
At Areté, we are on the forefront of utilizing innovative solutions, with great minds from all backgrounds, to help solve the nation’s most complex security challenges. We strive for an inclusive, collaborative team environment that approaches differences as opportunities for innovation and excellence. As an employee-owned company, we foster an atmosphere that propels diverse career opportunities and professional growth.
Discover your future with us.
At Areté, we pride ourselves on pioneering advancements in the field of underwater acoustic sensor systems. We are currently seeking a Sonar Systems Engineer to join our team, someone who can bolster our science and engineering initiatives. The ideal candidate will be instrumental in various stages, right from system design to the demonstration of production-level systems, and even delving into the research and development of innovative solutions. This is a full-time exempt non-supervisory position based in our Tucson, AZ office.
- Lead the design of cutting-edge underwater active and passive acoustic technologies, encompassing array design, sonar signal processing, beamforming, acoustic communications, and automated detection and classification.
- Spearhead the modeling, fabrication, and testing phases of underwater transducers and sonar imaging systems.
- Conduct thorough simulations and analyses to understand environmental interactions with acoustic signals.
- Aid in the creation and testing of sophisticated algorithms dedicated to sound localization, target detection, and classification.
- Engage in and lead technical briefings in line with IEEE 15288.2 standards, such as SRR, PDR, and CDR. This also involves presenting to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Take on the responsibility of requirements derivation, traceability, systems integration & testing, performance verification, and data analysis for our sonar sensor systems.
- Collaborate and troubleshoot system-level sonar-related challenges with a diverse team of seasoned engineers and technicians.
We have an impressive range of benefits, programs, and perks that we offer:
Generous PTO and Leave Times
- Flextime Scheduling
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401K Retirement Plan Contribution
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Continuing Education Funds
Health, Medical, And Wellness Benefits
- Medical Insurance
- Dental & Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability (LTD)
- Vision Reimbursement
Qualities We Look For
Experiences And Background We Look For
- Master’s or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Acoustics, Applied Math, Applied Physics, or related field with 2+ years of experience.
- Hands on acoustic testing experience.
- Deep understanding of fundamental acoustics, piezoelectric materials, and acoustic transducer design including lumped element modeling.
- Programming experience in MATLAB, Python, C++, or other.
- Capacity to work in a team with minimal supervision and agility to work multiple potentially disparate projects simultaneously.
- Desire to learn.
- Proven capability to develop creative solutions to complex technical problems.
- Ability to communicate clearly both written and verbally.
- US citizenship and ability to obtain a security clearance.
Nice to have
- Active secret or higher security clearance.
- Experience in DoD volume and/or side-scan sonar system design, development, test, and production.
- Experience in DoD UUV system design, development, test, and production.
The salary range for this role is $105,000 to $185,000; however, Arete considers several factors when extending an offer of employment, including but not limited to: the position and associated responsibilities, a candidate’s work experience, education/training, and key skills.
U.S. citizenship is required to meet position eligibility.
Selected applicants will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Successful passage of a criminal background screen is required to meet position eligibility. Areté will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Successful passage of a Department of Transportation (DOT) drug test is required to meet position eligibility.
As the health and safety of employees continues to be a priority, Areté encourages employees to remain current on their COVID-19 vaccinations. Employees may be required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042.
Areté is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website because of your disability. To request an accommodation, please contact Areté Human Resources at 818-885-2200 for assistance.