> Job board > Offer
Senior Product Manager
Umbra builds next-generation space systems that observe the Earth in unprecedented fidelity.
Our mission: Deliver global omniscience.
To stay ahead of climate change, geopolitical risk, and other major crises and issues, we need a global understanding of what is changing, where, and how fast. Umbra provides easy access to the highest quality commercial satellite data available, which is an indispensable tool for the growing number of organizations monitoring the Earth. We empower our customers to create the solutions that inform, inspire, and address our planet’s most pressing needs. We’re helping to create a brand new industry that has never meaningfully existed before.
We are searching for an experienced Senior Product Manager to further advance Umbra's mission to redefine customer-centricity in the satellite data industry. This person will contribute to evolution of the Product Organization and will endeavor to design and adapt solutions in complex hardware and software systems, aligning cross-functional development teams around business objectives through the practice of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). In addition, you will work closely with business owners and various stakeholders to craft the product vision and ensure we build the right solutions for our customers at the right time.
About This Role
As a Product Manager at Umbra, you will advocate for our customers and users, working across multiple applications and services to bring simplicity and cohesion to a complex system. You will collect and discover user problems and opportunities, collaborate with architects and developers to create solutions, and plan the implementation of those solutions on the product roadmap. You will define and maintain the product strategy alongside your colleagues in PM, and drive the organization’s alignment around a common vision. You will facilitate collaborative discussions, translate between technical and non-technical groups, and drive innovation across the organization to provide the best customer experience in the industry.
This particular role will be focused on Product Management for the design, building, and maintenance of Umbra’s satellites and will spearhead the next generation of Umbra technologies. Experience and expertise in mission architecture and systems engineering is critical to this position, and the right candidate will be able to “speak the language” of space-based radar systems. This person will be responsible for Umbra’s strategy and execution to expand both our constellation of satellites and our technical capabilities to position Umbra with a right-to-win in the remote sensing industry.
- Vision: Be a leader for Umbra’s product vision and strategy at the organizational level, keeping consistent with the mission to “Deliver Global Omniscience.”
- Empathy: Create strong relationships with customers and business owners to promote an organization-wide understanding of customer needs and market trends, seeking to solve for pain points and uncover competitive advantages.
- Strategy: Be a primary contributor to the company-level roadmap, securing consistency and alignment by directing development at the intersection of business objectives and opportunity. Be accountable to create and maintain the roadmap and strategy for the specific area of focus, maintaining a finer granularity to ensure clear communication to engineering.
- Development: Collaborate across internal and external customers, business and technical stakeholders, and development teams to define, prioritize, validate, and accept features that align with the broader vision and product strategy.
- Go to Market: Create and facilitate strategies to bring products and features to market by conducting thorough market research, using analytics to impact product decisions, and collaborating with Sales across both public and private sectors.
- All other duties as assigned.
- 10+ years of professional experience working in product management, program management, or systems engineering within a product-led organization.
- Industry expertise in radar systems and/or satellite mission modeling and simulation.
- Strong understanding of hardware design and development for space-based applications, aerospace engineering, flight software development, and/or ground software systems for command/control.
- Proven track record driving products and features to market in a highly technical environment via agile methodology and technology development lifecycle processes.
- Experience owning/driving roadmap strategy and definition and coordinating stakeholders across multiple business areas.
- Consistently takes initiative and champions causes that need to be addressed.
- Continuous learner that is not afraid to ask questions even if they may seem obvious.
- Demonstrated emotional intelligence to interact and empathize with staff, colleagues, cross-functional teams, and customers.
- Active TS/SCI clearance.
- Advanced degree in a relevant field.
- Experience with U.S. Government Programs, particularly in aerospace hardware and/or on-orbit satellite operations.
- Industry expertise in SAR, RF, GIS, GEOINT, remote sensing, and/or B2B SaaS.
- Demonstrated mastery of market research methods and utilization of user analytics with the ability to translate findings into data-driven product decisions.
- Strong understanding of APIs, data-as-a-service, cloud deployed micro-services, and the importance of a great developer experience
- Flexible Time Off, Sick, Family & Medical Leave
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, LTD, STD (employer funded)
- Vol Life, Critical Illness, Accidental, Hospital Indemnity, Pet Insurance (employee funded)
- 401k with 3% non-elective company contribution
- Stock Options
Umbra is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics.
Employment Eligibility Verification:
In compliance with federal laws, all hired persons will be required to verify their identity and eligibility to work in the United States by completing the required Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9 Form) upon hire.
This position may include access to technology and/or data that is subject to U.S. export controls pursuant to ITAR and EAR. To comply with federal export controls, all persons hired must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. lawful permanent resident, refugee or asylee as defined by 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3), or must otherwise be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or U.S.Department of Commerce as applicable.
This job posting may span more than one career level. To provide greater transparency to candidates, we share base ranges for all job postings regardless of state. We set standard base pay ranges for all roles based on function and level benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. Final offer amounts are determined by skills, responsibilities and relevant work experience.