> Job board > Offer
Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Senior Machine Learning Engineer
BlackSky is a real-time intelligence company. We own and operate the world's most advanced space-based intelligence platform and provide customers satellite imagery, automated analytics and high-frequency monitoring of strategic locations, economic assets and events from around the globe. BlackSky is trusted by the most demanding allied military and intelligence organizations and commercial companies to deliver foresight into critical matters that affect national security and the economy. BlackSky's data enables governments and businesses to see, understand and anticipate change as it happens, giving them the ultimate strategic advantage so they can act quickly. Our global team works with cutting-edge technology to make a difference around the world and prides itself on being people-first, customer-focused and fun.
BlackSky is looking for a talented and creative Senior Machine Learning Engineer to support the development, operation, and capability evolution of Spectra AI, BlackSky’s cutting edge AI/ML Platform. As part of the machine learning team, you are instrumental in supporting the automated monitoring mission at BlackSky. You will help ensure that Spectra AI produces consistent, reliable, and relevant analytics to BlackSky’s growing user base. The ideal candidate has AI model development, operations, and test experience; familiarity with national security use cases; and success working in an agile development environment. Additionally, the ideal candidate has demonstrated the ability to manage their own efforts over a broad scope of work as an independent contributor. Finally, the candidate should be an independent thinker with the demonstrated ability and willingness to lean in and solve new problems. This position reports to Analytics Manager in the AI/ML team.
While the locations listed in the job posting are ideal, we would love candidates near either our Herndon, VA or Seattle, WA offices. We may also consider remote candidates in certain states.
- Design and implement solutions for internal and external customers that exploit traditional machine learning and novel deep learning for next-generation satellite imagery analytics
- Plan and conduct research projects related to computer vision, time series analysis, content curation, probabilistic modeling, machine learning, predictive analytics, and geometric modeling
- Develop algorithms, models, and analytical tools for solving domain specific business problems
- Implement production quality analytics and models into the SpectraAI codebase (Python)
- Collaborate with management and technical team on product strategy
- Collaborate with infrastructure developers and machine learning quality engineers to build robust analytics for production use cases
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- At least three years of hands-on experience as a machine learning engineer or data scientist.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in one of the following fields: computer science, mathematics, physics, statistics, or another computational field with a strong background of using machine learning/data mining for predictive modeling or time series analysis.
- Hands on experience working with large data sets including data cleansing/transformation, statistical analyses, and visualization (using Python libraries such as Pandas, NumPy, etc.).
- Working knowledge of a wide range of machine learning concepts including supervised and unsupervised deep learning methods for both classification and regression.
- Extensive experience developing machine learning based software solutions. In particular, developing models in Python 3, NumPy, Scikit-Learn, Tensorflow, Keras, or PyTorch.
- Experience performing research in both groups and as a solo effort with a history of implementing algorithms directly from research papers.
- Strong ability to communicate concepts and analytical results with customers, management, and the technical team, highlighting actionable insights.
- Eligibility for US clearance required (this requires US Citizenship).
- Over five years of hands-on experience as a machine learning engineer or data scientist.
- PhD./Master's degree in the previously mentioned fields.
- Experience working with remote sensing data, ideally satellite imagery.
- Experience with time series analysis including classical approaches and the recent state-of-the-art.
- Experience working with geospatial data and geospatial Python libraries (GDAL, shapely, rasterio, etc)
- Experience developing asynchronous processing algorithms and Cloud-based solutions (especially AWS services like EC2 & S3).
Life at BlackSky for full-time benefits eligible employees includes :
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, group term life and AD&D, voluntary life and AD&D insurance
- BlackSky pays 100% of employee-only premiums for medical, dental and vision and contributes $100/month for out-of-pocket expenses!
- 15 days of PTO, 11 Company holidays, four Floating Holidays (pro-rated based on hire date), one day of paid volunteerism leave per year, parental leave and more
- 401(k) pre-tax and Roth deferral options with employer match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance and Travel Assistance Programs
- Employer matching donations
- Professional development
- Mac or PC? Your choice!
- Awesome swag
The anticipated salary range for candidates in Seattle, WA is $140,000-150,000 per year. The final compensation package offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on specific background and education. BlackSky is a multi-state employer, and this pay scale may not reflect salary ranges in other states or locations outside of Seattle, WA.
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EEO/AAP/ Pay Transparency Statements: