> Job board > Offer
Public Relations Manager
Public Relations Manager
BlackSky is a real-time intelligence company. We own and operate the world's most advanced space-based intelligence platform and provide customers satellite imagery, automated analytics and high-frequency monitoring of strategic locations, economic assets and events from around the globe. BlackSky is trusted by the most demanding allied military and intelligence organizations and commercial companies to deliver foresight into critical matters that affect national security and the economy. BlackSky's data enables governments and businesses to see, understand and anticipate change as it happens, giving them the ultimate strategic advantage so they can act quickly. Our global team works with cutting-edge technology to make a difference around the world and prides itself on being people-first, customer-focused and fun.
This is hands down the coolest PR gig in the new space industry.
As the Manager of Public Relations, you will report to the Director of External Communications and collaboratively conceive of, develop, and execute high-visibility global-reaching international security and economy story campaigns that support BlackSky’s business objectives. This high-velocity, individual contributor role will contribute directly to shaping BlackSky’s reputation in the news and other avenues of earned media.
Starting with the raw ingredients of BlackSky’s rapid-revisit, dawn-to-dusk imagery and analytics you will use your natural sense for news to proactively generate thought-provoking insights that shape news cycles. From day one your ability to land top press coverage will be tested as you pitch, negotiate, and shape stories with some of the best journalists in the business. The results of your work will be evident: multiple, quarterly top-quality earned placements of BlackSky’s work in space and defense trades and above-the-fold “tier-1” media publications.
While this position emphasizes storytelling skills the new PR manager will also be responsible for the operational aspects of BlackSky’s PR machine, i.e. generating supporting content, tracking and metrics. You should be comfortable explaining how qualitative and quantitative results shape the company’s future storytelling initiatives. You can also expect to support press initiatives around corporate news announcements (press releases) and industry/special events.
While the locations listed in the job posting are ideal, we would love candidates near either our Herndon, VA or Seattle, WA offices. We may also consider remote candidates in certain states.
- As a key member of the “First-to-Know” public relations team, actively conceive of, creatively develop, and collaboratively execute high-visibility global-reaching international security and economy story campaigns.
- Collaborate with leadership and internal subject matter experts to train/prepare spokespersons and create supporting campaign assets, not limited to briefing documents, outward-facing briefing materials and news announcements, imagery, and other creative visual assets.
- Manage all operational aspects of media relations activities, i.e. curating and maintaining a database of key reporters, third-party national security analysts and experts, and managing channels of communication.
- Measure and communicate insights around the qualitative and quantitative impact of media activities. Use these insights to continually optimize BlackSky’s earned media efforts (we use Meltwater currently).
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent length of relevant professional PR experience.
- At least seven years of relevant experience. Demonstrated ability in creating and managing global-reaching earned media campaigns that deliver measurable story results against pre-defined objectives.
- An active mind. Must work very well under pressure and can flow within the dynamics of multiple editorial deadlines.
- A quick and enthusiastic learner. Inquisitive and resourceful, with exceptional negotiation, persuasion, and communication skills.
- Exhibits a healthy balance of risk-taking and discernment, with on-the-fly complex problem solving and decision-making abilities.
- Strong organizational skills as a good time manager and effective multi-tasker.
- A passion for the space industry and a natural grasp for technology and cultural megatrends shaping our world.
- Previous experience landing Tier-1 stories.
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, international relations, or related field.
- Previous defense or aerospace technology exposure; international a plus.
- Deeply familiar with (U.S.) media law, AP Style, and journalistic principles for newsgathering and publication.
Life at BlackSky for full-time benefits eligible employees includes :
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, group term life and AD&D, voluntary life and AD&D insurance
- BlackSky pays 100% of employee-only premiums for medical, dental and vision and contributes $100/month for out-of-pocket expenses!
- 15 days of PTO, 11 Company holidays, four Floating Holidays (pro-rated based on hire date), one day of paid volunteerism leave per year, parental leave and more
- 401(k) pre-tax and Roth deferral options with employer match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance and Travel Assistance Programs
- Employer matching donations
- Professional development
- Mac or PC? Your choice!
- Awesome swag
The anticipated salary range for candidates in Seattle, WA is $125,000-135,000 per year. The final compensation package offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on specific background and education. BlackSky is a multi-state employer, and this pay scale may not reflect salary ranges in other states or locations outside of Seattle, WA.
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EEO/AAP/ Pay Transparency Statements: