> Job board > Offer
Umbra builds next-generation space systems that observe the Earth in unprecedented fidelity.
Our mission: Deliver global omniscience.
To stay ahead of climate change, geopolitical risk, and other major crises and issues, we need a global understanding of what is changing, where, and how fast. Umbra provides easy access to the highest quality commercial satellite data available, which is an indispensable tool for the growing number of organizations monitoring the Earth. We empower our customers to create solutions that inform, inspire, and address our planet’s most pressing needs. We’re helping to create a brand new industry that has never meaningfully existed before.
We are searching for an experienced Program Manager to support Umbra’s Global Solutions Group, with responsibility to successfully deliver solutions, products and technology while managing cost and schedule baselines for hardware and systems development, mission services, and R&D contracts with the U.S. Government. The Program Manager will report to the director of System Solutions within GSG and collaborate closely with Umbra’s engineering, product management, legal, finance, and operations departments. You will also support the growth of the portfolio by fostering organic growth on existing contracts and supporting captures of new contracts.
About this Role
As a Program Manager at Umbra, you delight our customers and users with high quality products and solutions delivered on time and on budget, meeting our contractual obligations. You are cognizant of how all the pieces need to come together for successful program execution and can turn that into well-organized roadmaps, schedules, and budgets that you then track throughout the program lifecycle. You manage development scope alongside Umbra’s product management team using processes from the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). You are an excellent communicator: collaborating effectively to a variety of technical and non-technical groups, confidently and succinctly briefing to leadership, and creating partnerships with your customers. You will learn Umbra’s technologies to better support your customers and to effectively manage technical progress. You will mitigate program issues and emerging risks. You will support business development through proposals and RFI responses, customer engagement, and organic growth. This position requires the ability to work in a SCIF part-time in either Denver, CO or Arlington, VA (fully remote is not available for this role).
● Program Execution: Have full accountability for successful execution (cost, schedule, technical) of multiple current contracts. Update monthly financial actuals and forecasts. Provide monthly status updates to support Program Excellence Reviews.
● Processes: Contribute to the development of Umbra’s Program Excellence Framework, a set of documented processes for program start-up, execution, and close-out. Leverage lessons learned and experience from prior programs, but tailored to how Umbra does business, to define lightweight processes for functions such as financial management, risk management, contractual deliveries, and monitoring performance.
● Agile Development: Act as Business Owner for technologies related to contracts. Support product management and system architects on solutions engineering. Actively participate in major Agile ceremonies, such as PI planning.
● Growth and Strategy: Lead or support proposal development as requested. Define and execute growth strategies for current and follow-on contracts. Support product management in company roadmaps by being the voice of the customer on their needs.
● All other duties as assigned.
- Current and active security clearance.
- 8+ years of professional experience working in a program management supporting USG contracts or the aerospace and defense domain.
- Experienced leader able to build a plan, build a team, and execute with clear ownership and minimal oversight.
- Direct experience with space industry program planning and execution.
- Proven ability to manage technical development and/or R&D scope and technical teams.
- Experience working with business development on USG captures and supporting and/or leading proposals.
- Confident understanding of Agile product development and technology development lifecycle processes.
- Continuous learner that is not afraid to lead through uncertainty, take chances and learn from his/her mistakes.
- Consistently takes initiative and champions causes that need to be addressed.
- Demonstrated emotional intelligence to interact and empathize with staff, colleagues, cross-functional teams, and customers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic and fast-paced development environment.
- Able to travel CONUS up to 25% of time.
- Experience with remote sensing satellite development and/or mission operations.
- Experience working with a diverse set of U.S. Government DoD, IC and Civil customers.
- Experience with large competitive captures.
- Experience with SAR and RF space payloads and their associated ground systems.
- Familiarity and leadership experience with SAFe, PMI or other similarly rigorous organizational frameworks.
- Understanding of systems engineering processes and system architectures.
- Flexible Time Off, Sick, Family & Medical Leave
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, LTD, STD (employer funded)
- Vol Life, Critical Illness, Accidental, Hospital Indemnity, Pet Insurance (employee funded)
- 401k with 3% non-elective company contribution
- Stock Options
Umbra is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics.
Employment Eligibility Verification:
In compliance with federal laws, all hired persons will be required to verify their identity and eligibility to work in the United States by completing the required Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9 Form) upon hire.
This position may include access to technology and/or data that is subject to U.S. export controls pursuant to ITAR and EAR. To comply with federal export controls, all persons hired must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. lawful permanent resident, refugee or asylee as defined by 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3), or must otherwise be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or U.S.Department of Commerce as applicable.
This job posting may span more than one career level. To provide greater transparency to candidates, we share base ranges for all job postings regardless of state. We set standard base pay ranges for all roles based on function and level benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. Final offer amounts are determined by skills, responsibilities and relevant work experience.