> Job board > Offer
Planning Technician III
Do you have exceptional customer service skills, effective communication skills, and basic Microsoft Office Suite program knowledge? If this sounds like you, then the Montgomery County Planning Department is where you want to be! We are currently seeking a Planning Technician III to join our Intake and Regulatory Coordination (IRC) Division. This position will require excellent customer service skills and basic Microsoft Suite program knowledge.
Montgomery Planning is part of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC). For over 95 years, M-NCPPC has had a national reputation for excellence in planning, and today serves a culturally diverse population of over one million people on the border of Washington, D.C. in Montgomery County. We provide county-wide planning functions including long range planning, as well as reviews of development applications in diverse built environments of downtown urban districts, suburban communities, and agricultural areas. We have pioneered nationally modeled programs in agricultural preservation, inclusionary housing, and transit-oriented design. To learn more about who we are and what we do, we encourage you to watch this brief video here and visit our website at www.montgomeryplanning.org.
In this role, you will:
- Communicate regularly with developers, builders, engineers, architects, attorneys, and homeowners to examine possible alternatives for meeting County regulations
- Collect, organize, and analyze planning related data
- Review plans and final record plats to provide new street names and house addresses. Coordinate and change existing house addresses when there is infill development
- Serve as permit review support for final approval and release of building permits
- Communicate with elected officials, citizens, and various county agencies, verbally or in writing, concerning addressing, street naming, permit matters, and regulations
- Keep applicable codes updated and maintain awareness of in-house policy changes. Stay abreast of code and ordinance changes in areas assigned. Research historical code and ordinance interpretations
- Effectively communicate by phone and in person with customers and the general public regarding pending applications and questions about the application process
- Collect fees for publications, zoning maps, photocopies, and various items
- High school diploma or Certificate of General Educational Development (GED).
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience with plan, permit and development application review.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total two (4) years.
Classification Specification: Planning Technician III (2233)
In addition to the minimum qualifications listed above, knowledge of planning and zoning and basic Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is a plus, but not required.
The M-NCPPC offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, generous leave plans, an employee pension plan, and a deferred compensation plan. Positions may qualify for public service student loan forgiveness. Montgomery Planning is conveniently located minutes from Washington, DC in downtown Wheaton, MD next to the Wheaton Metro Station, several bus lines, and bikeshare. A commuter stipend is available. Telework opportunities (up to two days a week) and tuition assistance are also available. We work in one of the first LEED Platinum-certified government-owned office buildings in Maryland. Check it out here!
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate a workplace culture of diversity, equity and inclusion without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other non-merit factor.
The salary range listed above represents the earning potential for this position. Salary is commensurate with experience. This position is eligible for a sign-on bonus (external candidates only).