> Job board > Offer
GIS Survey Crew Chief - Field
The GIS Survey Lead leads other GIS Survey Technicians in the documentation, surveying and inventorying of points, elevations, lines, and areas for utility verification, assessment, and map making. This person is responsible for operating and maintaining field equipment including electronic data collectors, total stations, auto levels. The GIS Survey Lead possesses the ability to perform field calculations and complete proper field surveying techniques. This individual is responsible for the effective performance, training, and safety of all members of a field survey party. The GIS Survey Lead possesses a general knowledge of land surveying principles and practices.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Act as crew chief for a field survey crew engaged in utility asset location, verification, and inventory projects.
- Gather field survey data through use of conventional and Global Positioning System (GPS) methods.
- Set up, adjust, and operate surveying equipment, including data collector, GPS equipment, and electronic total station to measure distances, elevations, and digital form attribution.
- Prepare field notes and drawings.
- Perform field surveying for potable water, stormwater, and drinking water utilities including locating or establishing vertical and horizontal control, right of way, monuments, corners, boundaries, and property lines.
- Complete detailed survey notations for surveyed field work.
- Ensure that the batteries for all field equipment are recharged each day and that the geomatics vehicle to which the crew is assigned is adequately supplied and cleaned each day.
- Follow company safety practices to ensure a safe work environment for self and field crew.?
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with Geomatics staff, engineers, developers, contractors, and the public.
- 3-7 years of experience with field data collection including use of data collectors, survey instruments, and leveling instrument/procedures.
- 1-3 years of experience as a survey crew chief
- Experience using ESRI data collection applications like Field Maps, Collector, and Survey123
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license
- General understanding of principles and practices of land surveying (uses and capabilities of survey instruments, including GPS equipment, data collector, electronic total station, and leveling instrument/procedures)
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Reliable, self-motivated, engaged, and team-oriented
- Strong problem solving and technical skills
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans, collect data, operate, and maintain complex precision surveying instruments, and GPS equipment.
The assignment requires frequent travel within the state. Work is performed outdoors in areas such as construction sites, roadway work zones, wooded areas, and residential neighborhoods. Candidates should enjoy working outdoors in a collaborative, fast-paced, and client-driven environment.
To perform the essential functions of the job, incumbents may be required to perform moderately strenuous tasks, such as lifting and carrying instruments weighing up to 50 pounds over rough terrain. Incumbents may also be required to clear vegetation, dig holes, and drive stakes with hand tools.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the position. All employees may have other duties assigned at any time.
WithersRavenel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, military service, or other non-merit factors protected by federal, state, or local laws. At WithersRavenel, we strive to build and nurture a culture where diversity, inclusivity, and belonging are a normal part of doing business, not an initiative. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. By hiring highly talented people who align with our Core Values, we continue to enrich and broaden our ownership community, as well as the employee and client experience. This purposeful approach to diversity and inclusion leads to greater commitment, collaboration, and effectiveness in our culture, work, and lives.?