> Job board > Offer
Associate General Counsel
BlackSky is a real-time intelligence company. We own and operate the world's most advanced space-based intelligence platform and provide customers satellite imagery, automated analytics and high-frequency monitoring of strategic locations, economic assets and events from around the globe. BlackSky is trusted by the most demanding allied military and intelligence organizations and commercial companies to deliver foresight into critical matters that affect national security and the economy. BlackSky's data enables governments and businesses to see, understand and anticipate change as it happens, giving them the ultimate strategic advantage so they can act quickly. Our global team works with cutting-edge technology to make a difference around the world and prides itself on being people-first, customer-focused and fun.
BlackSky is looking for a dynamic Associate Counsel who is able to support all aspect of its business, including cutting-edge product development, commercial and U.S. government contracting initiatives, satellite constellation operations, and platform and analytic capabilities. A successful candidate will have hands-on experience working directly with operations, design, and contracting teams, as well as domestic and foreign customers and U.S. regulators. Experience in the space and defense sector and an eagerness to solve challenging problems, helping to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations in a dynamic environment are also skills sought for this position.
As a part of our Legal team, your responsibilities are expected to be wide ranging, spanning many different aspects of regulatory and export compliance such as contractual drafting and review; analysis and advice; training and policy development; communication with regulators; and such other duties as the VP of Legal may determine from time-to-time. Experience managing both internal stakeholders and outside resources is mandatory. While the locations listed in the job posting are ideal, we would love candidates near either our Herndon, VA or Seattle, WA offices. We may also consider remote candidates in certain states. Travel up to 10% is expected to come to corporate headquarters if remote.
- Manage, lead, and provide guidance and training to all staff on all export, import, and trade requirements under Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) as applicable to the space and defense sector.
- Lead technical and legal review of deliverables, reports, and presentations and provide the business with expert guidance as to export controls.
- Assess and classify hardware under the EAR or ITAR and review of platform and analytic capabilities for export concerns.
- Develop business procedures, policies, and processes.
- Draft and file export license applications and agreements as needed.
- Organize and compile materials for licenses, including renewals or updates to registration in a timely manner.
- Keep up to date with changes in export legislation and guidelines.
- Advise the business regarding the rules and regulations administered by the (i) Federal Communication Commission (FCC), and specifically satellite and ground network filings and 47 CFR Part 25; and (ii) National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), specifically their Commercial Remote Sensing Regulatory Affairs division and 15 CFR Part 960.
- Study, review, and respond to proposed rulemakings, including gathering information with the business and prepare regulatory documentation for submission to regulatory agencies.
- Keep up to date with changes in regulatory legislation and guidelines, specifically in the space and defense sector.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with 6-10 years’ experience with ITAR, EAR, NOAA, and FCC or and advanced degree (e.g., J.D.) with three years’ experience with ITAR, EAR, NOAA, and FCC.
- At least two years in the space and defense sectors.
- Existing relationship with federal stakeholders.
- Possess strong team and inter-team cooperation and organization skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a strong understanding of audience.
- Ability to sustain a workload effectively which has several concurrent independent activities.
- An active Secret Security Clearance.
- Travel: 10% or less with a visit to the Herndon, VA corporate office a minimum of two times a year.
- US Government contracting support experience for a US or DOD Government contractor.
- Foreign business registration and maintenance.
- SEC filing support experience.
- SOX/public company experience.
Life at BlackSky for full-time benefits eligible, US-based, employees includes :
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, group term life and AD&D, voluntary life and AD&D insurance
- BlackSky pays 100% of employee-only premiums for medical, dental and vision and contributes $100/month for out-of-pocket expenses!
- 15 days of PTO, 11 Company holidays, four Floating Holidays (pro-rated based on hire date), one day of paid volunteerism leave per year, parental leave and more
- 401(k) pre-tax and Roth deferral options with employer match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance and Travel Assistance Programs
- Employer matching donations
- Professional development
- Mac or PC? Your choice!
- Awesome swag
The anticipated salary range for candidates in Seattle, WA is $140,000-160,000 per year. The final compensation package offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on specific background and education. BlackSky is a multi-state employer, and this pay scale may not reflect salary ranges in other states or locations outside of Seattle, WA.
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EEO/AAP/ Pay Transparency Statements: