> Job board > Offer
About Element 84
Element 84 is a woman-owned software development firm that builds ambitious web applications and cloud services engineered for high scalability. We work with public and private sector clients to create systems that help solve problems and answer big questions about our health, our infrastructure, and our changing planet. We have over a decade of experience as a trusted partner in the Earth science and geospatial communities helping satellite operators, universities, and organizations like NASA and the USGS create systems, software, and user experiences that make their data more actionable and accessible. We are structured to best serve our 3 core client groups: federal agencies, commercial aerospace and satellite firms, and water management and conservation non profits and commercial firms. We have offices in Alexandria, VA and Philadelphia, PA, but we support a large workforce across the US.
A Few Other Things You Should Know
- Element 84's values are: We Invest in Each Other , We are Reliable , and Our Work Benefits our World .
- Element 84 works on meaningful projects that are challenging—from a technical, people, and team perspective. We make an impact on large projects through our leadership and expertise, both formal and informal.
- Element 84 pays well but we care more about working on projects that matter.
- Element 84 values life outside of work. We offer parental leave for everyone and support each other through family challenges like medical problems, adoptions, and new babies.
- Element 84 has had a flexible work schedule since our founding in 2010.
- Element 84 has made a commitment to diversity. We expect the entire team to share that same commitment.
Element 84 is looking for a fast-learning and meticulous person to join our team as an Accounting Clerk. They will have a sharp eye for detail and strong communication skills. They will have prior relevant experience to help perform daily AP/AR, invoice, payroll and other accounting support duties for our Accounting Manager. The ideal candidate will have experience within a small business and be comfortable with the flexibility required in that type of organization. This position is hybrid but mostly remote and would require working from our Alexandria, VA office one day per week.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Accounts payable expense coding and vendor management
- Credit card receipt maintenance, expense coding, and reconciliation
- Assist with client invoice preparation
- Employee time entry review and timesheet reminders
- Semi-monthly payroll processing
- Prepare and distribute month-end budget reports
- Maintain month-end accounting schedules
- Assist with month-end financial report preparation
- Assist with year-end 1099 process
- Assistance with ad hoc accounting tasks and projects and other duties as assigned
Working from our Alexandria, Va office one day a week to process incoming financial mail and checks
- 2-4 years of relevant accounting experience in similar role
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Working knowledge of accounting software (such as QuickBooks)Working knowledge of accounts payable process
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
- Willingness to learn new software
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proactive, problem-solving, and resourceful
Strong attention to detail
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks Accountant Desktop Edition
- Basic knowledge of Google Suite including Gmail, Google Sheets and Google Drive
- Experience with payroll processing with Paychex
- Experience with project-based accounting
Experience with government contracting and Federal Travel Regulations
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. At this time, Element 84 will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
Paying attention to who we are as a company–people, family members, friends, and colleagues–is our primary focus at Element 84. There are lots of ways to run a company and for us, it's wanting to come to work, being around people we enjoy, taking on big things with people you trust, and sharing our achievements as a team.
- You’ll get credit when things go right and we’ll have your back when things go wrong.
- We only take on work that is challenging and right for us. There are projects we will turn down and the team has a say.
- We may be a small company, but we have big company benefits meant to support the idea that we're here for the long term and happiness comes from much more than where you work.
We have an extraordinary retention rate because we hire extraordinary people. We hope that’s you.
Element 84 is an equal opportunity employer, with a company culture that values diversity.
We embrace inclusivity and believe that diversity of thought, perspective, and experience helps us reach higher and think bigger. Element 84 is committed to hiring the best person for the team and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.